Educating Against Online Scames
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From the Federal Bureau of Investigation

Go down

From the Federal Bureau of Investigation Empty From the Federal Bureau of Investigation

Post by Admin Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:27 pm

From the Federal Bureau of Investigation 6186909_orig

Lets first go through the email step by step. The very first thing that I notice is .Agent John Edward. the email address when scrolling over his name is BB@guitar.ocn.ne.jp. And the email is To john.edward@fbi.gov hmmm. Now why would an email to the FBI be sent to me? I'm not in the FBI. And why would John Edward (FBI) be sending himself an email? LOL. I did a google search on the BB@guitar.ocn.ne.jp and learned that @guitar.ocn.ne.jp is from Tokyo, Japan. ocn.ne.jp is what seems to be like verizon or aol or even yahoo. Most likely the person who wrote the email paid for a domain name on this server. the server can be found here now as we know no FBI agent will be in Tokyo writing to me about Nigeria.

So, ok, maybe that's not enough info to base me saying this is a scam. Money laundering that is a serious offense. But I wasn't expecting any packages and most certainly have not talked with anyone from Nigeria. keep digging into this email though.

The English grammar is terrible. It reminds me of possibly a 6th grader trying to act grown. Like in this paragraph, "I am Special Agent John Edward from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Intelligence Unit, we Intercepted two consignment boxes at JFK Airport, New York, the boxes were scanned but found out that it contained large sum of money ($4.1 million) and also some backup documents which bears your name as the Beneficiary/Receiver of the money, Investigation carried out on the diplomat that accompanied the boxes into the United States, said that he was to deliver the fund to your residence as overdue payment owed to you by the Federal Government of Nigeria through the security company in the United Kingdom."

Why is Intercepted capitalized? "The boxes were scanned but found out that it" really???? "bears your name"? So in the first paragraph I find three grammatical mistakes and I am in no way a professional when it comes to writing. I will not go into further detail on the mistakes in this email as I hear that scammers often will visit this site. Well scammers, hello Smile I for one will never fall for your phony crap!

Anywho.....If you have received an email similar to this I urge you to take a portion of it, lets say the salutation and search with quotes around it on google.com. The example below should walk you right through the process:

www.google.com
search for "Yours In Service,
Agent John Edward
Regional Deputy Director
Intelligence Field Unit"
This is what will come up if you do that:click here to see Now in this example you would have to search without the quotes, but it is still the same email.

So obviously, this is a scam. Thank goodness this was adverted into my spam mailbox but it won't always be. If you receive an email like this in your inbox please know that the FBI won't email you to let you know they have your address they know where you work they will get a hold of you through the United States Postal Service. Again, They will not email you!

Admin
Admin

https://eaos.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum